"Gotta say, I'd rather shop NCIX over bestbuy or futureshop any day of the week. I'm always amazed by..."
May We Also Suggest
- By David_W @Nov 19, 2012
Optimal Price/Performance Ratio
Synology RS812 delivers an average 50.6 MB/sec writing speed under RAID 5 configuration in a Windows® environment, and 109.7 MB/sec reading. The 2 LAN with failover support and hot-swappable drives will ensure continual service uptime should the drives need replacement or the unexpected LAN failure. Synology RS812 provides a reliable solution for data sharing with an easy to use interface, and comprehensive office applications, including a complete backup solution making it one of the best values in 4-bay rackmount NAS devices available today.
Robust & Affordable Scalability Up to 32TB
When the storage capacity of the Synology RS812 is nearing its capacity limit, it can easily be expanded with the Synology RX410 expansion enclosure. The Synology RX410 securely connects to the Synology RS812 via an eSATA cable with specially-designed locking connectors. The Synology RX410 expands the existing storage on the Synology RS812 up to a maximum 32TB capacity.
Cross Platform File Sharing
Synology RS812 offers comprehensive network protocol support, assuring seamless file sharing across Windows®, Mac®, and Linux® platforms. Windows® AD and LDAP integration allows the Synology RS812 to quickly and easily fit into an existing business network environment with no need to recreate user accounts on the Synology RS812. Internet file access is simplified by the encrypted FTP server and the web-based file explorer, Synology File Station. HTTPS, firewall, and IP auto-block support ensure file sharing over the Internet is protected at a high security level.
For users who are always on the move, Synology provides a handy app, DS file for the users of iPhone®, iPad® and Android™ phones. Anything stored on Synology RS812 can now be accessed remotely using DS file via the Internet.
iSCSI and Virtualization Ready
With the iSCSI support in DSM, the Synology RS812 provides a seamless storage solution for virtualization servers, such as VMware®, Citrix® and Hyper-V®. It is the ideal alternative to SAN solution for businesses. Affordable and cost-effective iSCSI allows large scale business to consolidate storage into data center storage arrays while providing hosts with the illusion of locally-attached disks.
Complete Backup Solutions
Synology RS812 offers a centralized backup target to consolidate fragmented and unstructured data across a network. PC users can back up their data to Synology RS812 using Synology Data Replicator software, and Mac OS X® users enjoy native Apple® Time Machine® integration.
A web-based backup wizard is provided for backing up data in Synology RS812 to another Synology DiskStation or any rsync server via an encrypted protocol, or to an external hard drive via USB connection. In addition, backing up to the cloud using Amazon S3® service is supported. The add-on package, Time Backup, keeps DiskStation data in multiple versions, so IT administrators could easily keep track of them and restore to previous version whenever required.
Rich Office Applications
Synology RS812 runs on the award-winning operating system, Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), which offers comprehensive applications and features designed specifically for office and business workgroups.
Web Station with PHP/MySQL® support allows a single Synology RS812 to host up to 30 websites and numerous 3rd party web applications, such as Content Management, Customer Relationship Management & e-Commerce system. The built-in mail server turns Synology RS812 into a dedicated mail service provider, while the add-on package, Mail Station 2, provides a webmail interface for users to access emails stored on Synology RS812.
Synology Surveillance Station offers a centralized interface to manage IP cameras deployed in your office or home, allowing users traveling miles away to safeguard the environment by watching live views, recording events, and taking snapshots with a computer or mobile device.
A wealth of add-on packages allows the Synology RS812 to replace several pieces of network hardware. VPN Server offers an easy VPN solution that turns your Synology RS812 into a VPN server, providing a secure way of connecting to a private LAN at a remote location. Directory Server allows Synology RS812 to host LDAP service with centralized access control, authentication, and account management, further enhancing your office management efficiency.
Energy Efficient Design
Synology RackStations are designed and developed with energy efficiency in mind. Compared with the average PC counterparts, Synology RS812 consumes only 37 watts in operation. All Synology products are produced with RoHS compliant parts and packed with recyclable packing materials. Synology acknowledges the responsibility as a global citizen to continually work to reduce the environmental impact of every product produced.
- by David_W @Nov 19, 2012
- CPU Frequency : 1.6GHz
- Hardware Encryption Engine
- Memory : DDR3 512MB
- Internal HDD/SSD : 3.5" or 2.5" SATA(II) X4 (Hard drive not included)
- Max Internal Capacity : 16TB (4X 4TB HDD) (Capacity may vary by RAID types) (See All Supported HDD)
- Hot Swappable HDD
- External HDD Interface : USB 2.0 Port X 2, eSATA Port X 1
- Rail Kit: Synology 1U Rail Kit Sliding / Synology 1U Rail Kit Fixed (optional)
- Size (HxWxD) : 44 X 430.5 X 457.5 mm
- Weight : 6.9Kg
- LAN : Gigabit X2
- Link Aggregation
- System Fan : 40x40mm X3
- Wireless Support (dongle)
- Noise Level : 22.6 dB(A)
- Power Recovery
- AC Input Power Voltage : 100V to 240V AC
- Power Frequency : 50/60 Hz, Single Phase
- Power Consumption : 37W (Access); 14W (HDD Hibernation);
- Operating Temperature : 5°C to 35°C (40°F to 95°F)
- Storage Temperature : -10°C to 70°C (15°F to 155°F)
- Relative Humidity : 5% to 95% RH
- Maximum Operating Altitude : 6,500 feet
- Certification : FCC Class A, CE Class A, BSMI Class A
- Warranty : 3 Years
- File Station
- Virtual Drive
- Remote Folder
- Backup Solutions
- Network Backup
- Local Backup
- Desktop Backup (Windows: Synology Data Replicator 3, Mac: Apple Time Machine backup application)
- Shared Folder Sync - Max task number : 4
- Configuration Backup
- Mail Server
- Supported Protocols : POP3, SMTP, IMAP
- FTP Server
- Bandwidth Control, Custom FTP Passive Port Range, Anonymous FTP, Transfer Log
- Web Station
- Virtual Host (up to 30 websites)
- 3rd party Applications Support.
- Print Server
- Max Printer # : 2
- Printing Protocols : LPR, CIFS, IPP, Apple AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, Multi Functional Print Server (for Windows PC only)
- iOS/Android Applications
- DS photo+
- DS audio
- DS cam
- DS file
- DS finder
- DS download (Only available on iOS)
- DS video (Only available on iOS)
- Windows Phone Applications
- DS audio
- DS finder
- DS photo+
- Surveillance Station
- MAX IP cam # (Licenses required) : 12 (1 Free License) (See All Supported IP Cameras)
- Total frame rate (FPS) : 120 FPS @ D1 (NTSC:720x480, PAL:720x576), 30 FPS @ WXGA (1280x800).
- Directory Server
- LDAP Directory Server
- Backup and Restore LDAP Database
- VPN Server
- Maximum Connections : 5
- VPN Method: PPTP, OpenVPN
- DHCP Server
- Independent DHCP Server on Different Network Interfaces
- Multiple Subnets Support
- Address Reservation
- Syslog Server
- SSL Connection
- Log Rotation: 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years
- Email Notification
- Mail Station
- Webmail Interface for Mail Server
- Receiving Mail from Multiple POP Mailboxes
- Customizable SMTP Server
- Antivirus Essential
- Full System Scan
- Scheduled Scan
- White List Customization
- Virus Definition Auto Update
- Time Backup
- Maximum Task Number : 2
- Multiple File Versions Retained
- Instant File Restoration
- Cloud Station
- Maximum User Accounts : 16
- Retain Historical and Deleted File Versions
- HiDrive Backup
- Backup DiskStation data to STRATO HiDrive online storage
- Photo Station
- Supported Image Format : BMP, JPG (jpe, jpeg), GIF, RAW (arw, srf, sr2, dcr, k25, kdc, cr2, crw, nef, mrw, ptx, pef, raf, 3fr, erf, mef, mos, orf, rw2, dng, x3f)
- Supported Video Format : 3G2, 3GP, ASF, AVI, DAT, DivX, FLV, M4V, MOV, MP4, MPEG, MPG, QT, WMV, XviD, RM, RMVB, VOB, RV30, RV40, AC3, AMR, WMA3
Users can click and download the following video formats: RM, RMVB, VOB, RV30, RV40, AC3, AMR, WMA3; however, these formats cannot be played in Photo Station as compressed Flash video.
- Audio Station
- Supported Audio Format (USB Mode) : AAC, FLAC, M4A, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, WMA VBR
- Supported Audio Format (Streaming Mode) : MP3, M4A, M4B
- Supported Playlist Format : M3U, WPL
- Internet Radio : SHOUTcast, Radioio
- iTunes Server
- Supported Audio Format : MP3, M4A, M4P, WAV, AIF. Music in WAV and AIF format can be streamed, but metadata (e.g. title, album) may not be indexed in iTunes
- Supported Video Format : M4V, MOV, MP4
- Supported Playlist Format : M3U, WPL
- Supported Client : iTunes for Windows and Mac
- DLNA/UPnP Media Server
- PS3/Xbox 360 Support
- Supported Audio Format : AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, Apple Lossless, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, PCM, WAV, WMA, WMA VBR, WMA PRO, WMA Lossless
- Supported Video Format : 3GP, 3G2, ASF, AVI, DAT, DivX, DVR-MS, ISO, M2T, M2TS, M4V, MKV, MP4, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, MTS, MOV, QT, SWF, TP, TRP, TS, VOB, WMV, XviD, RMVB (The actual playback capabilities may vary depending on the DLNA/UPnP client)
- Supported Image Format : BMP, JPG (jpe, jpeg), GIF, ICO, PNG, PSD, TIF (tiff), UFO
- Download Station
- Supported Download Protocols : BT/HTTP/FTP/NZB/eMule
- Maximum Concurrent Download Tasks : 50
- Packages by 3rd Party
- Logitech Media Server
Product reviews on NCIX.com are screened for relevance and inappropriate
content. Reviews may contain inaccurate information about the product.
If there is a discrepancy, please use the Flag this Review link
located beside each review. Reviews are not an endorsement expressed by
NCIX.com, but opinions from customers based on their own experience with
a product. We do not recommend you make purchasing decisions based on facts or opinions expressed in these reviews.
All pricing subject to change. For all prices,
products and offers, NCIX.com reserves the right to make adjustments
due to changing market conditions, product discontinuation, manufacturer
price changes, errors in advertisements and other extenuating
circumstances. Promotional offers from NCIX.com are subject to
availability and are available only while supplies last. No rain
checks will be issued on promotional items and offers.
While NCIX.com uses all reasonable efforts
to include accurate and up-to-date information on the Site, NCIX.com
makes no warranties or representations as to the Site's accuracy.
NCIX.com assumes no liability or responsibility for any errors
or omissions in the content on the Site.
NCIX.com warrants product(s) to be in good
working condition and free from defects in material and workmanship
for a period of one (1) year for OEM packages, and for thirty
(30) days for RETAIL packages, from the original Invoice date
unless otherwise restricted below or by the manufacturer's own
warranty policy. Defective returns and warranty service will be
replaced, exchanged or repaired at NCIX.com's sole discretion,
and based on vendor's policy.
NON-DEFECTIVE merchandise returns may be
accepted on some items ONLY within 15 days of the Invoice date,
at NCIX.com's discretion. All NON-DEFECTIVE returns are subject
to a 15% restocking fee. No refunds will be issued for blank media,
digital cameras (and accessories), opened software, printers,
printer supplies, paper, projectors (and accessories), appliances,
handhelds, PDAs, notebook computers, special order computers and
special order items.
Defective software, video games or DVDs
will be replaced by the SAME title and format ONLY (and subject
to current availability) within 30 days of the Invoice date. Software,
video games and DVDs may be returned within 30 days only if the
item is UNOPENED (with shrink wrap still intact) at the sole discretion
NCIX.com does NOT apply a surcharge
to credit card orders. Please read our RMA
& warranty policy and terms
& conditions for more information. If you have
any questions regarding our sales and warranty policies, please
send us a message -- we'll be glad to answer any of your questions.
First 30 days limited warranty through NCIX.com. The remainder of the two year warranty is provided directly by the manufacturer.